Rosa Shirt and Shirtdress by Tilly and the Buttons is a great pattern for improvers. Make your own stylish shirt or shirt dress with this step-by-step sewing pattern.
Rosa has a flattering semi-fitted shape thanks to gently curved princess seams on both front and back. Our favourite feature is the pointed back yoke, which looks stunning highlighted with decorative topstitching or piping.
You’ll learn to construct a two-piece collar and stand, with a separate button stand facing so you can make a feature out of contrast fabric. The three-quarter length roll-up sleeves are held up with narrow button tabs. (Want to make it long sleeved with cuffs? Download the free bonus pattern!) It’s finished with mock felled seams, a gently curved dipped hem, and optional pointed pockets.
Wear your Rosa dress for work or play, and let the compliments come flooding in…”You made that yourself?!”
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Rosa includes easy-to-follow instructions with photos showing you how to sew each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself. I’ve made a version that you can see over on the blog in Rainbrella Fabric.
This is a multisized pattern (Tilly’s own sizing of 1-8) with UK equivalent being sizes 6-20. For further sizing information see the Tilly and the Buttons website and click on “Pattern Sizes”.
- Fabric – Shirt: All Sizes – 2m (2 1/4 yds) x 150cm (60in) wide / 2.6m (2 7/8 yd) x 115cm (45in) wide
- Shirt Dress: Sizes 1-4 – 2.2m (2 3/8 yds) x 150cm (60in) wide / 3.1m (3 3/8 yds) x 115cm (45in) wide
- Shirt Dress: Sizes 5-8 – 2.6m (2 7/8 yds) x 150cm (60in) wide / 3.1m (3 3/8 yds) x 115cm (45in) wide
Medium- and light-weight woven fabrics (such as Art Gallery Fabrics), such as cotton lawn, chambray, lighter weight denim, fine needlecord, double gauze, linen blends, viscose (rayon), shirting cotton.
- Matching thread
- 10–13mm (3/8–1/2in) buttons x 10 (for shirt) or x 12 (for shirt dress)
- Iron-on interfacing (similar weight to your fabric)
- Optional: 2 spools of contrast topstitching weight thread and topstitching/embroidery needle for your machine
- Sewing machine and tools, including buttonhole foot
Suitable for intermediate sewists