Ness Skirt by Tilly and the Buttons is a sewing pattern for improvers
Elevate your sewing with this classic fly front skirt pattern. Ness looks stylish year-round, paired with a t-shirt in summer or a roll neck in winter. The straight skirt has a shaped waistband and curved back yoke for a flattering fit. Why not pair Ness with her friend Nora?
Choose from mini version or below-the-knee hemline with centre front split. Details inspired by denim include a zip fly front, topstitched mock felled seams, belt loops, all-important in-seam pockets, plus optional back pockets for stashing your essentials. Let’s get stitching!
Ness includes jargon-busting instructions, helpful sewing tips, and colour photos showing you each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
This is a multisized pattern (Tilly’s own sizing of 1-8) with UK equivalent being sizes 6-20. For further sizing information see the Tilly and the Buttons website and click on “Pattern Sizes”.
You will need:
- Fabric – Mini skirt : 1.25m x 150cm OR 1.6m x 115cm
Knee-length skirt: 1.5m x 150cm OR 2m x 115cm
- Matching thread
- 0.3m medium-weight cotton fabric for pocket bags. Quilting cotton is perfect for this!
- 0.5m x 90cm wide iron-on interfacing (similar weight to your fabric)
- 12.5cm (5in) jeans zip
- 15-18mm button with shank
- Optional: Contrast topstitch thread and topstitch/embroidery machine needle
- Sewing machine and basic tools, including zip foot or adjustable zip foot
Medium- to heavy-weight woven fabrics such as denim, corduroy, jacquard, gobelin (tapestry), drill or wool, preferably with a little stretch for comfort.
Suitable for intermediate sewists.