The Lyra Shirtdress is the new pattern from Tilly and the Buttons. It comes in 2 size bands in the PDF version (6-24 and 16-34) and 1 size band in the paper version (6-24). Being a TATB pattern, it uses their sizing scheme of 1-10 and 6-15. Lyra has a bodice with bust darts and button front to the waist, a 2 piece collar and stand and a gathered skirt. She also has side seam pockets which is always a winner in my book! You can make Lyra with an optional bottom tier or knee length and short or long sleeves with an elasticated wrist. I made the short sleeved, knee length version.
My Lyra was made in a blind panic and has a few glaring errors which I suspect are all my own fault because I rushed! I needed a new shop window display as mine was still in Christmas mode at the end of lockdown number 3 and its now April. Why I thought that a shirtdress would be a good thing to make last minute is beyond me… Thankfully its a typical Tilly and the Buttons pattern with great, clear instructions and plenty of photos in the booklet so I managed to sew her up start to finish in a single day. I emailed team Tilly to check on the fabric they’d used in their sample and made sure to order some in the week before Lyra was released. It’s Artisan Splash cotton lawn by Lady McElroy fabrics if you’re wondering! I also used some Tabitha Sewer Ocean Mirror buttons for a bit of sparkle.
My current measurements put me at 6 for the bust and waist (UK 16), and between 8 and 9 for the hips (UK 20-22), however the finished garment measurements show that the hip is very, very generous. So I cut a 6 and graded to a 7 at the hips. This proved to be a good move as there’s still plenty of room to get my bum in without it pulling at the hips and it used less fabric too.
I did mess up 2 things though! I’ve no idea why or how but I couldn’t get the collar stand to attach properly. It was simply too wide compared to the neckline even though I checked the seam allowances were correct and that I’d cut the correct one. I’ll be making another Lyra in needlecord soon though so I’m sure I’ll work it out next time! I did what I could to fudge it together but it’s left me with a kink and slight crease at the top of the button placket.
I also did my usual adjustments by adding 5cm to the bodice length and 8cm to the skirt length. Unfortunately I only realised that I’d forgotten to add length to the button placket after I’d attached it and overlocked all the seams together. Oops!
So, all in all it’s a lovely pattern with clear instructions and can definitely be sewn up in a day. Just make sure to lengthen ALL the pieces if you need to!
My measurements: High bust 93, Full Bust 105, Waist 87, Hips 119cm. Height 178cm
Size made: 6 at bust and waist, grading to a 7 at the hips. Lengthened bodice by 5cm and skirt by 8cm.